Jun 28, 2014

St. Thomas Kirchhof

In Hermannstraße.
At the last minute of the last Sunday, after a very clouded day, it seemed as the sun wanted to say good night.
So I didn't feel like going home. Sundays are somehow gloomy days. I walked around in Neukölln and dropped into this quite graveyard. I already told you, graveyards in Berlin are very peaceful, beautiful and charming places (not like in Spain).
I didn't pay attention at the opening hours, I just went into the park and stopped to draw this promenade delimited by those gigantic, old plane-trees (Platanus). 
This time of the year days are so long that I do not realize how late it is.
So I was ready to go, it was a bit colder, I looked at the distance and I saw all the fences were closed! I had a panic moment, I looked at my handy and saw it was already over 21h. I reached the doors, all were locked, and I didn't feel like sleeping in a Graveyard... I started to look how I could jump the fences.. I walked a bit more and I saw there was a light in the little house at the entrance! I had still chances! I rang the bell and a woman came downstairs and unlocked the door, so happily I could flight out! 
***
El pasado Domingo, a última hora y tras un día encapotado y gris, el sol quiso asomarse. Y yo no quise irme a casa (las tardes de domingo son como tristes). Caminé por el barrio y entré en este bonito cementerio. Los cementerios en Berlin, ya os dije que son mágicos, llenos de paz, como islas en la ciudad.. Entré sin más, no me fijé en los horarios, y me senté a dibujar esta avenida de grijo arenoso enmarcada por inmensos y antiguos plátanos.
En este periodo del año, los días son tan largos que no me hago una idea de la hora que es. El aire refrescó, acabé la acuarela y me dispuse a salir cuando a lo lejos vi las verjas cerradas. Me acudió un momento de pánico, no tenía ganas de dormir en el cementerio! Todas las verjas estaban cerradas con candados y empecé a mirar por dónde sería más fácil saltar... caminando hasta la casita de entrada, vi que en el piso de arriba había luz y llamé al timbre. Tuve suerte, y oí que alguien bajaba las escaleras! pfiuu! una mujer salió y amable me abrió la verja, advirtiéndome mirar los horarios la próxima vez, que seguro que lo haré! :)



No comments: